Kansas Bodily Injury

Understanding how Kansas bodily injury works will help you understand how you will get your medical care covered for your injuries. All states have requirements for the type of car insurance you are required to purchase in order to drive. In Kansas, drivers are required to purchase Personal Injury Protection (PIP) coverage, and Liability, which is separated into Bodily Injury Liability and Property Damage Liability.

Injured In An Accident?

FREE Evaluation of your claim...

Personal Injury Protection - (PIP)

Whether you are responsible for the accident or not, your own insurance company will pay for the medical expenses and loss of wages for you and your passengers. To understand in more detail how PIP works, return to this page, Understanding How PIP works- getting your medical care paid for.

After a car accident in Kansas it is very important that you call your own insurance company to report the accident, even if you know the other driver was at fault.

Before calling your company, look over at this page, Car Accident Claim - 10 Essential Claim Tips to help you have the best outcome with your claim.

Bodily Injury Liability

Your coverage pays for serious and permanent injury or death to others when you cause a crash involving your automobile. Your insurance company will pay for injuries up to the limits of your policy and provide legal representation for you if you get sued.

Property Damage Liability

This liability covers you if your car damages someone else's property. This means damage to their car, or their property, such as crashing into someone's fence, or if you crash into their home. Like Bodily Injury Liability, Property Damage Liability coverage will provide legal protection to you if you are sued after the accident.

Who Was At Fault

Kansas is a No Fault State. This means that your insurance company will pay for your medical bills regardless of who was at fault in the accident. After a car accident in Kansas call your own insurance company, even if the other driver was at fault, as your medical claims will come from your own insurance through PIP.

After a car accident in Kansas it is very important that you call your own insurance company to report the accident, even if you know the other driver was at fault.

Kansas uses a Rule called the 50% Rule, which means that an injured person cannot recover damages if the injured party was 50% or more at fault. If the injured party was 49% or less at fault, they can recover, and recovery is reduced by degree of fault.

Determining who is at fault after a car accident is complicated and cannot be sorted out online. Your insurance company will help you with this.

Kansas Statute of Limitations

The Statute of Limitations means that you must file a lawsuit or close or settle your case within your state time limits. The time clock starts on the day of the car accident.

Injury: 2 years

Property Damage: 2 years

To learn more about your State's insurance rules and regulations:

Kansas State Website for Insurance Questions

Michelle was just in a car accident. 3/28/2013

I will be writing about my experience in real time, read along, or check in now and again. I will be posting about my pain treatments, and you can send questions about your own accident at any time for me to include.

Click here